Adding a high chair to your baby registry? Read our recs for the best high chairs right now—from compact to portable, budget-friendly to higher-end, and high chairs you can use for years.
In addition to being a practical place to feed your baby—and keep those messy early meals at least somewhat contained—a high chair can also be an important part of including a baby or toddler in family meals. In fact, with this in mind, some seats are designed specifically to bring baby close to the table.
A high chair also keeps baby in the safest position for eating. Among the basic baby safety features to look for: a three- or five-point safety harness, stable legs (to avoid tipping in the event a bigger baby leans too far over the edge), and a post between baby’s legs to keep them from sliding out. (To find out more about baby safety for a high chair you’re considering, check specific product safety information.)
What Are The Different Types of High Chairs?
High chairs come in a few standard types: classic stand-alone high chairs, those that adapt from baby through toddler, child, and even adult seats, compact or foldable high chairs, and lightweight portable models.
Of course those that grow with baby are a popular option for the obvious reason that you get that much more value for the purchase price—and who doesn’t like that?
Since multiple high chair models will have similar features, it might just come down to preference, given that a high chair is one piece of baby gear that will also be a piece of furniture sitting in the heart of your home.
Which High Chair Is Best?
Some questions to consider:
- When do you plan on starting to use a high chair? And for how long?
- What features do you not want to live without?
- Do you expect to move the chair from place to place, both in and out of the home?
- Do you plan to leave it out all the time, or will you need to store it away when not in use?
- How much do you value style over substance?
- And of course, how much do you want to spend on a high chair?
To help you choose, we looked through baby registries on MyRegistry.com and added our own research to tell you a bit about the best baby high chairs available right now. We know one of them is sure to be just right for your family. (You can add a high chair and any other gifts you like to a universal baby registry right here on MyRegistry.)
High Chairs That Grow with Baby
Stokke Tripp Trapp
If you’re into the Scandinavian look, the modern design Stokke Tripp Trapp is an icon in the world of baby gear. For practical purposes, the seat pulls right up to the dining table, allowing baby (then child) to really join the family at meals. The included chair, baby seat with five-point harness, and extended gliders will take baby from six months to three years, while the newborn add-on puts baby right at table height and makes Tripp Trapp usable from early days. When the baby seat is taken off, the chair can hold an adult up to 300 pounds, making Tripp Trapp the ultimate in a long-lasting high chair.
- Adjustable design with both depth- and height-adjustable seat and footplates
- Available in a variety of colors including red, mint green, and soft pink, plus beech and oak
- Available with complimentary engraving
- Optional add-ons: newborn set, tray, baby cushion, classic cushion, and more
Maxi-Cosi Minla 6-in-1 High Chair
The Maxi-Cosi Minla 6-in-1 high chair is designed to accommodate six years of growth, from infant seat to high chair to booster. There are five recline positions for newborns and smaller babies, nine heights to accommodate your dining table or your own comfort when feeding, and four tray positions. When your big kid is ready for a booster seat, just remove the back of the high chair and the snack tray and pull the seat up to your table. What makes this grow-with-baby high chair stand out is that it folds for storage.
- Zip-off seat pad is machine washable
- Snack tray has a dishwasher-safe insert
- Infant insert pad provides extra comfort for newborns
- Easy compact fold
Graco Blossom 6-in-1 Convertible High Chair
The Graco Blossom 6-in-1 transforms from a reclining infant seat to a traditional high chair, infant booster, toddler booster, and finally a youth chair. The six-position height adjustment brings baby up to table or counter, while the three-position recline and five-point harness keep baby comfortable and secured. The standout feature with Blossom is that it can accommodate two kids at once, in a variety of combinations: high chair and toddler booster, infant booster and youth stool, or toddler booster and youth stool.
- One-hand removable tray with dishwasher-safe insert
- Removable seat back insert for use with both toddler booster and youth chair
- Machine-washable leatherette seat pad
- Front wheels and locking rear casters
Lalo the Chair
This high chair from Lalo is called, simply, The Chair. A bit higher-end, it’s designed for long-lasting use, and it’s a different version of the grow-with-baby high chair in that it becomes a kid chair by swapping out the legs for shorter ones. The sleek, minimalist design with contrasting beech wood legs is all smooth surfaces, so it’s easy to keep clean, and while it doesn’t fold down, it does have a footprint on the smaller side. The Full Kit includes the seat, legs, strap, belly bar, tray, footrest, seat cushion, and play chair legs, but the Lalo is also available as a high chair alone without the shorter legs.
- Included tray is dishwasher safe
- Infant cushion is machine washable
- Footrest flips over for a couple added inches
- At just 10 pounds, it’s easy to move around
A Standard High Chair
4moms High Chair
The 4moms High Chair is highly functional without lacking style. The details that make it different include a magnet-guided tray for one-handed tray attachment (no need to carefully line up tray and rails) and a magnetic tray top that helps compatible 4moms bowls and plates stay in place when baby is learning to self-feed (less tossing to the floor!).
- Rounded seat compartment with no fabric insert means easy cleaning
- 2 tray positions and 3 height positions
- Seat insert and dishwasher-safe tray liner are both removable for easy cleaning
- Bowl with lid is included
Foldable Compact High Chairs
Inglesina Gusto High Chair
The Inglesina Gusto is a practical, height-adjustable high chair with a cushy, enveloping three-position recline seat that makes it a comfy hangout or nap option too. The key feature here is that Gusto folds down to an extremely compact size and even stands on its own when folded, making it a great option for space-challenged families that still want a full-feature high chair. The serving tray can be detached from the main tray so food can be placed on it before serving.
- Effortless open/close
- 4-position height adjustment
- 3-position adjustable footrest
- Detachable dishwasher-safe serving tray
Peg Perego Prima Pappa Zero 3
The Peg Perego Prima Pappa Zero 3 includes the features of a multi-functional high chair: a one-move recliner mode that makes it suitable for newborns, a standard high chair mode for bigger babies, seven-position height adjustment, and a five-point safety harness plus passive restraint bar to keep kids in place. But unlike a lot of newborn-to-toddler high chairs, it folds down to a compact stand-alone fold.
- Non-scratch rubber wheels with rear brakes
- Double tray with dishwasher-safe tray liner
- Stylish color options like white/rose gold and denim
- Optional add-ons: baby cushion and booster cushion
Joovy Nook High Chair
Another of the best folding high chairs, the budget-minded Joovy Nook High Chair was designed for everyday convenience in busy homes. It comes with lots of user-friendly features, most notably the one-handed swing-open tray and the one-handed flat fold for compact storage in smaller homes.
- 4 tray-depth settings that allow room to grow
- Leatherette cover that wipes clean
- Removable dishwasher-safe tray insert
- Adjustable 5-point harness
Portable High Chairs
Inglesina Fast Table Chair
The Inglesina Fast Table Chair is an affordable, convenient option that hooks onto most tables. It’s lightweight and highly portable, perfect for use in restaurants, while traveling, or in others’ homes, as well as being a smaller-space solution at home. Inspired by Montessori principles, the Fast Table Chair encourages autonomy by sitting baby at the table to learn social skills and to eat what others are eating.
- Collapses to fit in the integrated carry bag
- Removable washable seat cover
- Padded seat with storage pocket
- Optional add-on: dining tray
Chicco QuickSeat Hook-On Chair
The budget-friendly Chicco QuickSeat is just what it sounds like: a portable seat that hooks onto tables for convenient dining when out and about, or at home, if a freestanding high chair isn’t in the picture. A compact fold with a built-in carry strap makes this one ultra portable.
- One-pull tightener attaches securely to tables
- 3-point harness
- Seat cover snaps on/off easily for washing
- Snap-on/off tray for easy cleaning
Fisher Price SpaceSaver
The easy-on-the-wallet Fisher Price SpaceSaver has the features of a full-size high chair in a compact package that fits on most dining chairs. It goes from a recliner to an upright high chair to a big-kid booster seat, with two height adjustments and three recline positions.
- Dishwasher-safe seat, tray, and tray insert
- Machine-washable seat pad and 5-point harness
- Deep-dish tray design helps keep baby from pushing food to the floor
- Convenient tray storage behind the seat
Having a Baby?
You can add any of these items to your MyRegistry.com Baby Registry. Don’t have one yet? It’s easy! Create a Universal Baby Registry today, then add baby gifts from all your favorite stores.
Already Have a Baby Registry - or Several?
Existing gift registries with every major gift retailer can be synced to display on your MyRegistry baby registry. When you combine store registries, you receive the benefits of a universal registry while retaining the perks of a registry with stores like Target, Amazon, buybuy Baby, Pottery Barn Kids, and Crate & Barrel Kids, including completion discounts, complimentary goody bags or welcome boxes, free shipping on registry purchases, and private registry events.
Looking for More Baby Registry Ideas?
Find suggestions for baby gifts and baby registry essentials on our Baby Registry Inspiration Boards.
We are a Universal Gift Registry website where people can create a registry and add gifts from any store in the world. If you buy any of the products listed here, we may be compensated. Thanks for reading—we love you!